Abundance Wimbledon Newsletter
Welcome to our July newsletter!
Abundance Wimbledon is delighted to confirm the thirteenth annual Fruit Day will be held on Saturday 16 September 2023, and preparations are well underway! Fruit Day is a fantastic community event, suitable for everyone, and this year's offering looks set to be another fruitful and fun-filled celebration. Our regular newsletter will be your go-to guide throughout the harvest season for opportunities, updates and events in the lead up to the big day.
Read on for more...
On Tuesday 25 July, at 1:30pm, Sue will be running another of her popular courses introducing the principles and practices of making homemade jam and jelly.
Join Sue for this relaxed and friendly hands on course and learn how to wow your family and friends with homemade preserves. Participants will also have the opportunity to join other Abundance jam-makers, using up unwanted fruit over the summer.
The course costs £25 and includes all the ingredients you need.
Places are limited to 6 per course.
The class is held in SW18 and lasts for 3 hours.
📧 Please get in touch with Sue Lovell-Greene at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested and need further information
Sign up for Jam Masterclass
Fruit pickers and area coordinator needed
Abundance Wimbledon is mobilising to get the all important fruit picks underway. We have a wonderful crew of volunteers, but our doors are always open for more! Our picks take place across the following six areas:
- Morden and Mitcham (Coordinated by Liz)
- Motspur Park (Coordinated by Gilli)
- Raynes Park (Coordinated by Dulcie)
- Wimbledon (Coordinators - Ruth and Rosie)
- Wimbledon Park (vacant Coordinator position - please contact us if you would be interested in volunteering for this role)
📧 Email us at email@example.com
Too much fruit in your garden?
IS YOUR FRUIT OUT OF REACH? DO YOU HAVE MORE THAN YOU CAN HANDLE? DO YOU DREAD A SEA OF HALF ROTTEN APPLES, PEARS OR BERRIES?
We are here to help! Our team of enthusiastic fruit pickers will be more than happy to come to you and pick that hard to reach fruit, as well as find a home for any unwanted produce that is collected.
📧 Email Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- type of fruit
- location of fruit
- approximately how much fruit needs to be picked
- times that pickers can attend
- contact details (phone number)
Fruit Day 2023
Fruit Day is the culmination of Abundance Wimbledon's efforts each year to reduce food waste, help local charities and engage the local community. The Mayor of Merton, Gill Manly, will be opening the day of celebrations. It is a chance to bring people together for some light hearted fun, whilst raising money for local charities through the sale of many homemade delights made from the unwanted fruit picked by our volunteers.We are delighted to confirm the return of the following stalls and activities:
- Homemade Treats for Sale - Jams, chutneys, cordials, cakes, pies, biscuits
- Local Honey for Sale - Fresh from Alison's apiary in Martin Way and Dave’s apiary in Tooting
- Apple Press - Fancy the chance to press your own fresh apple juice? All you'll need is a little bit of elbow grease!
- Apple Pie Making - This is an all-ages-friendly activity (particularly popular with the little ones) that will see you take home your very own apple pie.
- Children's Activities - Our amazingly creative Karoline will be running children's activities for all ages. This year, we are also excited to introduce a storytelling workshop for children aged 2 - 5, run by Tinka the puppeteer.
- Musical performances - we will be joined by The Colliers Wood International Ukulele Orchestra and Fresalca, a saxophone quartet.
- Abundance Wimbledon Raffle Prize
- Sustainable Merton Stall
- Friends of the Earth Stall
Abundance Wimbledon 13th Annual Fruit Day
SATURDAY 16 SEPTEMBER 2023
11.00am - 2.30pm
St Mark's Church Hall & Grounds St Mark's Pl,
Our Next Newsletter
We will be back in touch again soon!
📧 Feel free to send any Abundance news and photos to our media editor Jackie at email@example.comBest wishes and sincere thanks from us all, Juliet and the team at Abundance Wimbledon.